prep time: 5 MINS cook time: 20 MINS total time: 25 mins
•1 cup orange juice
•1 cup organic cane sugar
•1 bag (16 ounces) fresh cranberries
•zest, juice and pulp of 1 orange
•1 organic apple
1. Add your orange juice and sugar to a sauce pan. Heat over medium high heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
2. Pour your cranberries into a colander. Rinse and pick out any smooshed or ugly berries. Add the nice berries to the pan and stir to coat in juice.
3. While berries are cooking, zest the orange. Cut orange in half and squeeze the halves by stabbing the center with a fork and pressing orange halves around it. Scrape out some of the pulp as well. Add zest, juice and pulp to pan.
4. While berries continue to simmer, peel, core and chop an apple into small pieces (I like granny smith – but use what you have!). Once most of the berries have burst, add apple pieces to pan and stir. Cook for 5 more minutes then remove from heat.
5. Serve warm over waffles or ice cream. If using for a turkey condiment, allow to stand for about 15 minutes, then pour mixture into a bowl or ramekins and refrigerate until ready to serve.